Cyber Freud is a risk to all who use the internet, particularly those who are not as aware of the risks involved in what they are doing. So advice from the i newspaper is very timely particularly for people who are house bound and those who rely very much on internet shopping, banking etc. The very people who are often the most vulnerable in society, and yet are the ones picked on.
Cyber Freud: Advice from the i newspaper, plus a little more:
- Never give personal details on the phone if someone phones you up asking. Even if they have already lots of information such as your address, date of birth, even the last four digits of your credit/debit card – this they can hack.
- Use three random words for you password, which protects against hacking software. Use of upper case and lower case and numbers randomly placed helps.
- Change passwords regularly, use different ones for different applications.
- Do not record passwords where others can find them!
- Avoid clicking on embedded suspicious emails, if you do not recognise them don’t open, delete!
- Be careful about what you post online, identity theft is a huge problem.
- Carry regular updates of security and good security software.
- Keep a close eye on your bank account.